Thursday, June 30, 2011

Blueberries

 Blueberry tarts.
I read in the newspaper about a place in Ripon where you could pick your own blueberries.  I love blueberries.  My uncle Clair lives in Oregon and grows all kinds of wonderful berries and I had picked from his garden where it was green and lush and cool so the idea of blueberries doing well in this hot dry valley interested me.  I took a couple of my young women and went early one morning.  We had fun and picked a bunch of berries before it got hot.  I made blueberry muffins and a lemon blueberry pound cake.  I also froze a few.  A friend was interested so on Monday we went out again and picked a bunch more.  My freezer was full of muffins and so I froze most of the berries but I did make a few blueberry tarts.  They weren't half bad. 

Vegetables from my garden.
I love growing things and harvesting and using the things I grow.  This year, so far, we have enjoyed spinach, onions, radishes, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, chives, basil, yellow squash, and peppers.  We had a long, cool, wet spring and I got off to a late start so it is still early but we have had salad, fried zucchini, stuffed zucchini, sauteed vegetable, and just fresh vegetables.  The space in my yard is limited but I like to try growing something new each year.  This year it was radishes and carrots.  I got the carrot seeds from Craig's brother David.  He has an amazing yard that is full of wonderful produce.  Thanks for sharing David.  Hopefully I will still have a garden to enjoy when I get back from Richard's and Amy's. The garden has struggled a little this year.  I think it knows I will be abandoning it for a while. Craig said he will take care of it for me but his time and priorities are limited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment